YOU KNIT, WE SHIP
Calling all Ottawa knitters! How about dedicating some of your stash to an outstanding summer project? Yarn Forward and the Ottawa community are teaming up for this worthy cause.
afghans for Afghans is a humanitarian and educational people-to-people project that sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, and socks to the children of Afghanistan.
· Wool and animal fibres offer the most warmth and perform best in rugged conditions. Please avoid synthetic yarns – they cannot be shipped.
· Knit or crochet your favorite patterns or try something new. For sample patterns see the AFA website, below.
· Please do not use representational images (e.g. faces or animal designs) or religious or national symbols.
· Avoid white or very light colors. Feel free to mix a bright and cheery palate from your yarn collection!
· Please assume standard garment sizes. You are knitting for a Canadian climate. Hats need to cover ears, sleeves need to go the wrist and torsos need to be long.
· No used items or scarves please.
Drop off and Deadlines
You can drop off your projects at Yarn Forward, 581 Bank Street, Ottawa or 474 Hazeldean, Kanata. The dead-line for the next shipment is September 25th, 2007.
For more information, check out the web-site: http://www.afghans/, and our blog at http://findingfortygatheringknitting.blogspot.com/.
A hat that you knit will be well-loved and passed down through several families of Afghan children. Make this your summer project!